“I am delighted that President Bush has accepted to play this role,” Mr. Annan said, introducing Mr. Bush in his new capacity. “I know the Pakistani authorities are too. We know that he is going to bring extraordinary leadership and attention to this terrible tragedy.” He will work to mobilize and sustain the political will of the international community “to ensure that the pledges that have been made are promptly converted to cash, so that the recovery and reconstruction and emergency activities can continue,” he said. He will also, Mr. Annan said, work with the Government and people of Pakistan to ensure their coordination with the UN and its development agencies, regional organizations, financial institutions and non-governmental organizations. Former President Bush, along with his successor, former President Bill Clinton, were named by President George W. Bush to lead private fundraising efforts in the US in the aftermath of the Indian Ocean tsunami, after which Mr. Clinton became the UN’s Special Envoy for regions affected by that disaster. The devastating 7.6 magnitude earthquake on the Richter scale that struck South Asia on 8 October killed more than 73,000 people in Pakistan and 1,300 in India. An additional 69,000 people in Pakistan were injured as a result of the quake. In a rapid response to the disaster, the UN provided search-and-rescue and other life-saving assistance on the ground and launched a Flash Appeal for humanitarian assistance, asking for $500 million, of which $226 has already been committed. A donor conference, focused on support for national reconstruction efforts, was organized by the Government of Pakistan in Islamabad on 19 November, at which nearly $6 billion was pledged.
The Quartet – which comprises the UN, the European Union, Russia and the United States – was too influenced by certain powers and the UN role had been undermined and minimized as a result, John Dugard told the Assembly’s Third Committee (Social, Humanitarian and Cultural) yesterday.Mr. Dugard, who is the Special Rapporteur on the situation of human rights in the Palestinian territories occupied since 1967, also expressed misgivings about the Road Map, the Quartet-sponsored plan which calls for Israelis and Palestinians to live side-by-side in two States.The Road Map was entirely within the control of the Quartet, and that grouping had not shown itself to be impartial, he said, noting its stance on the imposition of economic measures following the election of a Hamas-led government in January.In response to questions from Committee delegates, Mr. Dugard said he did not think the Human Rights Council or General Assembly could achieve much on this issue and it was therefore up to the Security Council to assert responsibility.Israel and the Palestinians must also begin direct talks as soon as possible, especially on the issue of the permanent status of the Palestinian territories.Mr. Dugard said the situation inside the Palestinian territories had worsened markedly since late June. In the Gaza Strip, Israel had conducted a brutal assault that was excessive and without military purpose, wrecking key infrastructure and creating a humanitarian crisis. In the West Bank, Israel continued to build a separation barrier that left Palestinians cut off from schools, hospitals and workplaces.Following criticism by Israel’s representative on the Committee that his report was one-sided, Mr. Dugard said it was understood that his mandate was limited to investigating human rights violations by Israelis and not by Palestinians.
WASHINGTON – Sales of new U.S. homes plunged in June, a sign that real estate continues to be a weak spot in the economy.New home sales fell 8.1 per cent last month to a seasonally adjusted annual rate of 406,000, the Commerce Department said Thursday. The report also revised down the May sales rate to 442,000 from 504,000.Buying of new homes fell 20 per cent in the Northeast, followed by less extreme declines in the Midwest, South and West. The modest sales caused the inventory of new homes on the market to increase to 5.8 months, the highest since October 2011.The median sales price was $273,500, up 5.3 per cent over the past 12 months.Home sales had been improving through the middle of 2013, only to stumble over the past 12 months due to a mix of rising prices, higher mortgage rates and meagre wage growth.The pressures from mortgage rates have eased since the start of 2014 and the pace of price increases have slowed. Still, other indicators suggest that home-buying has stalled after rebounding from lows reached during the Great Recession.The National Association of Realtors reported that sales of existing homes increased 2.6 per cent in June to a seasonally adjusted annual rate of 5.04 million homes. It marked the first time that sales have been above the 5 million-mark since October.Economists were encouraged by the second straight monthly gain in existing home sales, though those sales are still hovering below the recent peak of 5.38 million sales hit last July.Nasty winter storms weighed on sales of both existing and new homes in late 2013 and early 2014, making it unlikely that sales can match last year’s pace. Sales of existing homes are expected to be below the 5.1 million homes bought last year and the 5.5 million annual sales that would be consistent with a healthy housing market.Still, there are indications that sales could pick up.Along with the arrival of spring, average mortgage rates have dropped to 4.13 per cent, from 4.53 per cent at the beginning of this year, according to Freddie Mac. The rate of price gains has slowed as the inventory of homes for sale has improved. But wage growth has barely kept pace with inflation, reducing how much income people have to spend and save for down payments. AddThis Sharing ButtonsShare to TwitterTwitterShare to FacebookFacebookShare to RedditRedditShare to 電子郵件Email US new-home sales tumble 8.1 per cent in June to annual rate of 406,000 by The Associated Press Posted Jul 24, 2014 8:29 am MDT
Ritchie Bros Auctioneers is set to celebrate the grand opening of its new auction facility at its Geelong site, including a new 2,489 m2 auction building, on March 19, 2013. Company officials will be joined by local dignitaries, who will cut the official grand opening ribbon during a mid-morning ceremony in the main auction theatre. More than 800 heavy equipment items and trucks are currently featured in the Geelong grand opening auction, with more items being added daily. All items will be sold unreserved to the highest bidders on auction day, regardless of price. “We have been conducting auctions in Geelong since 2009 and are proud to offer our customers a new state-of-the-art auction facility,” said Warwick Mackrell, Vice President, Sales, Ritchie Bros Auctioneers.“The site was made with the purpose of making it as easy as possible for contractors to buy and sell equipment locally, across all of Australia and to markets around the world from this one location. And, as with all our unreserved auctions, we are open to the public so we invite everyone to come and check out the auction and the great selection of featured equipment.” The Geelong auction site is now over 40 acres and is located just off the Princes Freeway, less than an hour’s drive west of Melbourne. The new auction building consists of a registration area, a 670-seat main auction theatre where items are brought over a ramp in front of the seated crowd while being sold. There is also a 500-seat capacity Virtual Ramp theatre, where items are shown on a screen while being sold. All equipment items will be on site leading up to auction day, and interested buyers are encouraged to come to the site ahead of time to test and check out the equipment prior to auction day. Equipment highlights in the auction include hydraulic excavators, crawler tractors, wheel loaders, and articulated dump trucks.
Updated 7.54pmONE MAN WAS hospitalised and two others sustained injuries after they were attacked by a masked gang armed with sledgehammers and baseballs bats at a house in Northern Ireland last night.The attack happened just after 10pm on Monday night at the house in Castle Park in Derry when the four masked men entered the house and carried out the attack.One of the victims, a 20-year-old man, was taken to a nearby hospital to be treated for injuries to his arm and head. His injuries are not believed to be life threatening.The two other men who were assaulted did not receive serious injuries, the PSNI said.Police investigating the attack have asked for anyone who saw anything suspicious or who has any information to contact the PSNI.Originally posted 9.42amRead: Haass talks in Belfast end without agreement >
Recommended for you Facebook Twitter Google+LinkedInPinterestWhatsApp TCI Premier blasts Opposition side for “slop” information, sets it straight in HOA Nearly 30 Haitians caught following illegal landing in Nassau, says Defence Force Related Items:#MagneticNewsMedia Facebook Twitter Google+LinkedInPinterestWhatsAppProvidenciales, TCI, January 20, 2017 – The National Health Insurance Plan has received that additional $4 million dollars to save its operations. A report in November by then interim CEO, Tamera Robinson exposed a dire need for $6.1 million and the former PNP Administration immediately made $2 million available through the Contingency Fund to save the ailing public health care plan.Premier Sharlene Robinson, in that meeting with the media explained that the review is still set and that an audit will tell a comprehensive story about what NHIP requires to function effectively and contentiously.#MagneticNewsMedia Bahamas Police Commissioner Greenslade gone to UK, appointed as High Commissioner
Copyright 2019 Sunbeam Television Corp. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed. General Assignment ReporterRosh Lowe joined WSVN in 2002 from WFTX in Fort Myers. During that time he has scored some of the biggest exclusive stories in town.Follow @rloweon7He was the only reporter to interview Scott Rothstein, the accused mastermind of a 1.2 billion dollar Ponzi scheme and the first to interview his wife Kim. Rosh was the South Florida reporter that broke the news that NFL star Donte Stallworth was over the legal limit when he hit and killed a man.Rosh has covered major national stories such as the serial sniper in Washington D.C., the Michael Hernandez murder trail and the most recent OJ Simpson trial.A native of New York, Rosh earned his Master’s Degree in Journalism from the Columbia School of Journalism. He is a recipient of an Associated Press Award and also a Best News Story of the Year Award from Emmis Communications.Rosh lives in Miami and is an avid runner.
Email NETWORK ERRORCannot Contact ServerRELOAD YOUR SCREEN OR TRY SELECTING A DIFFERENT VIDEO Feb 17, 2016 – 4:56 pm Taylor Swift, Selena Gomez: 58th GRAMMY Fashion Cam Selena Gomez To Star In Woody Allen Movie For Amazon As for new music? Gomez has been riding high with recent singles “Bad Liars” and “Fetish” featuring Gucci Mane, and she’s been hard at work on finding a through line for her follow-up album to 2015’s Revival.”I’ve been in the studio for a year,” Gomez told Carson Daly during a radio interview in June. “So I can technically say I have an album, but I don’t know where I want to go with it because of how different everything sounds.”Miley Cyrus Announces New Album, Younger Now Twitter Singer/actress sets sight on latest film project — is a new album far off?Tim McPhateGRAMMYs Aug 8, 2017 – 5:01 pm GRAMMY.comWe may have a fetish for her music, but we’re also hooked on Selena Gomez onscreen as well.The singer will star in a forthcoming Woody Allen film, also set to feature Elle Fanning and Timothée Chalamet. While details for the as-yet-untitled project are few and far between, the film will be released by Amazon Studios, which is riding the momentum of three Oscars at the 2017 Academy Awards.Gomez has made plenty of noise in film. In addition to recent starring roles in The Fundamentals Of Caring and In Dubious Battle, she served as the executive producer of the hit Netflix series 13 Reasons Why. She also added her voice to the upcoming Hotel Transylvania 3, a 3-D computer-animated fantasy-comedy film set to bow in September 2018. Selena Gomez: Did You Hear About Her New Film? selena-gomez-star-woody-allen-movie-amazon News Facebook
Beleaguered budget carrier SpiceJet is expected to receive a bailout package before the end of January, raising the prospects of a last-minute rescue for the airline.The Sun Group-owned airline has been bleeding cash and has had to return some of its leased planes. It currently operates about 200 flights a day and with every passing day, the chance for continued operations diminishes.SpiceJet founder Ajay Singh, backed by US-based private equity funds, could take over the ailing airline, if the current owners exit and he plans to bring in about $200mn as fresh fund infusion.Singh submitted a detailed business plan to the government this week and a financial package is expected to be ready by the end of January — once the due diligence is completed, reports Reuters.Though SpiceJet declined to comment on the development, the beleaguered airline could see a new management on board by the end of the month, if the necessary approvals are received. The move would see the Marans exit the budget carrier and Ajay Singh return to the helm.The ill-fate of Vijay Malaya’s Kingfisher Airlines continues to reverberate across the industry and the government. And even after two years, the government is keen to avoid another airline perish. ReutersMeanwhile, Air Vistara, a joint-venture between Tata Sons and Singapore Airlines started operations on Friday. The full-service airline plans to offer a better value proposition with its economy, premium economy and business class seatings.
Supporters of Imran Khan, chairman of the Pakistan Tehreek-e-Insaf (PTI), political party celebrate during the general election in Islamabad, Pakistan, on 26 July 2018. Photo: ReutersPakistani cricket icon-turned-politician Imran Khan inched closer to power on Thursday after a general election that has been marred by long delays in ballot counting and claims of rigging by opponents.With nearly half the votes counted from Wednesday’s election, Khan’s Pakistan Tehreek-i-Insaf (PTI), or Pakistan Movement for Justice, was in a commanding lead in the nuclear-armed, Muslim nation.But supporters of jailed prime minister Nawaz Sharif said the counting process was an assault on democracy in a country that has a history of military rule.The stock market shot up nearly 2 per cent in early trading on relief the likely coalition government will not be a weak one. Pakistan faces a mounting economic crisis that is likely to require a bailout by the International Monetary Fund, although PTI has not ruled out seeking succour from China, Islamabad’s closest ally.Election Commission of Pakistan (ECP) secretary Babar Yaqoob said told reporters early on Thursday counting had been delayed by technical failures in an electronic reporting system and the tallying was now being conducted manually. The results had been due by 2:00am (2100 GMT on Wednesday).“There’s no conspiracy, nor any pressure in delay of the results. The delay is being caused because the result transmission system has collapsed,” Yaqoob said.Chief Election Commissioner Sardar Mohammad Raza also defended the process, saying “elections were 100 per cent transparent and fair”, but could not set an exact deadline when the full results would be released.With 48 per cent of the total vote counted, Khan’s PTI was listed by the ECP in its provisional results as leading in 113 of 272 contested National Assembly constituencies.Sharif’s Pakistan Muslim League-Nawaz (PML-N) was ahead in 64 constituencies, and the Pakistan Peoples Party (PPP), led by the son of assassinated two-time prime minister Benazir Bhutto, led in 42 constituencies.Khan’s party spokesman, Fawad Chaudhry, tweeted “Congratulations to the nation on a new Pakistan! Prime Minister Imran Khan”, although his party has officially held off on declaring victory.Although Khan still appeared likely to fall short of the 137 seats needed for a majority in the National Assembly, he should not have problems finding coalition partners from smaller parties and independents.“INTOLERABLE”Pakistan’s benchmark 100-share index surged as much as 1.9 per cent to 42,136 points in early trading. Analysts said investors were relieved Khan is now unlikely to have to rely on major opposition parties in a messy coalition.“Now they can go ahead with smaller allies and make necessary reforms without much opposition,” said Saad Hashemy, local brokerage Topline Securities’ director of research.Wednesday’s voting was marred by a suicide bombing that killed 31 people near a polling station in Quetta, capital of the southwestern province of Baluchistan. Islamic State claimed responsibility.This election will mark only the second civilian transfer of power in Pakistan’s 71-year history, and comes at a time when relations with on-off ally the United States are volatile.But campaigning has been plagued for months by allegations the powerful armed forces have been trying to tilt the race in Khan’s favour after falling out with the outgoing ruling party of Sharif, who was jailed on corruption charges this month.The PML-N, which came to power in a landslide 2013 vote, had sought to cast the election as a referendum on democracy, saying it was campaigning to protect the “sanctity of the vote”, a reference to a history of political interference by the military.Early on Thursday, Sharif’s brother Shehbaz, who now leads the PML-N, rejected the results after complaints that soldiers stationed in polling stations had thrown out poll monitors from political parties during the counting.About 371,000 soldiers have been stationed at polling stations across the country, nearly five times the number deployed at the last election in 2013.The PML-N and the PPP both said their monitors in many voting centres had not received the official notifications of the precinct’s results, but instead got hand-written tallies that they could not verify.“It is a sheer rigging. The way the people’s mandate has blatantly been insulted, it is intolerable,” Shehbaz told a news conference as the counting continued.“We totally reject this result,” he said. “It is a big shock to Pakistan’s democratic process.”The PPP also complained that its polling agents were asked to leave during the vote count in a number of voting centres.“This is the warning bell of a serious threat,” said PPP senator Sherry Rehman. “This whole election could be null and void, and we don’t want this.”“ISLAMIC WELFARE STATE”Khan has staunchly denied allegations by PML-N that he is getting help from the military, which has ruled Pakistan for about half of its history and still sets key security and foreign policy in the nuclear-armed nation.The army has also dismissed allegations of meddling in the election.Khan has promised an “Islamic welfare state” and cast his populist campaign as a battle to topple a predatory political elite hindering development in the impoverished nation of 208 million, where the illiteracy rate hovers above 40 per cent.