Dear Editor,Please allow me space in your publication to share my open letter to the Honourable Mr Khemraj Ramjattan, the founder/leader of the Alliance for Change.Mr Ramjattan, I am asking you to take the AFC out of this ‘paper coalition’. I would like to remind the public that this unholy alliance with the PNC was done against your wishes and advice.I recall clearly that in November 2014, you said that you were personally against such a move as it rendered the AFC as “dead meat”. Sir, those words have been proven prophetic; it pains me to see your humiliating treatment at the hands of the PNC leader Brigadier David A Granger. I believe it is not too late to trust the instincts that stood you in great stead during your illustrious political career. Mr Ramjattan, pull out of this coalition!If you do not, you are simply fulfilling your own prophecy of doom.The level of disdain and disrespect showed to our party by the PNC is reminiscent of that shown to Peter D’Aguiar by Forbes Burnham; imagine your face is not even on the campaign posters at this late date.The PPP hatchet-men are having a field day making a mockery of us just as you predicted back in 2014.Mr Ramjattan, I am sure that the PNC will betray you and all of us who support the AFC, let us thwart this final act of treachery!I am certain that once the AFC removes itself from the PNC and its dictatorship-style leader, the members and supporters who left after becoming disillusioned will return. Our only hope for the future of the AFC is a return to the polls as a single entity, with our own values, ethics, and morals that you embody.Let us regain our pride that has been trampled on by the PNC and work with you to rebuild our ‘third force’ until one day we become the ‘main force’.Yours faithfully,Keyara Johnson
The Linden Mayor and Town Council (LMTC) is on a mission to sensitise primary school students across Linden on local governance and the various roles and responsibilities needed for the system to work. The programme is targeting Grade Six students, and is completely knowledge-based.Linden Mayor Waneka Arindell interacting with students of the One Mile Primary SchoolInteractive sessions with Linden Mayor Waneka Arindell and LMTC Public Relations Officer Tiffany Stoll have been conducted at the Royal Halls of Learning, Watooka Day School, One Mile and Mackenzie Primary schools. Mayor Arindell has said that all primary schools in Linden and the Bamia Primary School on the Linden/Soesdyke Highway will be targeted.According to the Department of Public Information, the discussions are delivered in two parts, and include talks on the roles and responsibilities of the elected local government officials.The officials include the Mayor, Councillors and Administration, as well as the residents of the municipality. It aims at stimulating the young minds on what local governance involves, and how they also can play a role in the development of their township.The sessions are also aimed at strengthening leadership roles within the school system. Role plays are performed by the students to practise what they have learnt. The programme began on June 19 and is expected to last three weeks.Linden Mayor Waneka Arindell has described the support from the Education Department and teachers, as well as the response from the students, as overwhelming.“It has been good so far; the discussions were interactive. They were taught how residents of the township have the responsibility of paying rates and taxes, and how the Council has the responsibility of garbage collection and so forth…. The response was wonderful, I was moved by the questions they have asked; we left our phone numbers as well,” she explained.The Mayor said the LMTC has already been receiving calls from the students, who have been sharing their concerns on roads within their communities and other issues. The local governance sensitisation programme runs in tandem with the Junior Mayor programme, which targets secondary schools.The programmes were initiated to train youths from the school level, because following the 2016 Local Government Elections, officials realised that students were not fully knowledgeable about the system and what it entails. The aim is to address this shortfall, since Local Government Elections will be held at the end of the year.
…Govt owes ,560,000Junior Natural Resources Minister Simona Broomes is the subject of court action initiated by her former landlord, who has taken her to court allegedly because of rent owed.Guyana Times obtained a copy of the legal proceedings, which shows the minister as a co-defendant in a default of over $1 million in house rent, reportedly incurred between November 2016 and January 2017.The plaintiff, Dr Peter Ramsaroop, has initiated legal action against three co-defendants: the Attorney General of Guyana, Basil Williams; the Parliament of Guyana, and the junior minister, Broomes.Junior Natural Resources Minister Simona BroomesThe lawsuit highlighted that on January 13, 2016, the plaintiff, using his Lot 27 Jacaranda Avenue, Bel Air Park, Georgetown property, entered into a written Agreement of Tenancy with the Parliament of Guyana, the second-named defendant — represented therein by the Deputy Clerk of the National Assembly — for the said body to let the premises from February 1, 2016 to February 1, 2017 at a monthly rental of the Guyana dollar equivalent of US$2,500 (GYD $520,000).According to the Agreement of Tenancy, upon its signing, a deposit of the Guyana Dollars’ equivalent of US$7,500. (GYD $1,560,000), being 2 (two) months’ rent and a security deposit, was to be made, and was duly made, by the tenant to the plaintiff.According to the noted particulars, several months were left outstanding:Rent for November 2016, Guyana Dollar equivalent of US$2,500Rent for December 2016, Guyana Dollar equivalent of US$2,500Rent for January 2017, Guyana Dollar equivalent of US$2,500Total Guyana Dollar equivalent of US$7,500plaintiff, Dr Peter RamsaroopThe suit alleges that Parliament is in breach of the Tenancy Agreement, and noted that the second named defendant had “failed, refused and/or neglected to pay to the plaintiff the said sum of the Guyana Dollar equivalent of US$7,500.00 (GYD $1,560,000).The suit added that another breach of the agreement was found on or around September 19, 2016, when 30 days of written notice to terminate the tenancy was given to the plaintiff by the second named defendant, who thereafter vacated and “delivered up possession of the premises on or around October 31, 2016.“The second(named) defendant has failed, refused and/or neglected to pay to me the said sum of the Guyana dollar equivalent of US$7,500 (GYD$1,560,000),” the plaintiff has stated. Dr Ramsaroop also claimed that the minister supposedly was responsible for damage caused to his property, and has reportedly refused to return the security deposit to her.Attorney General Basil Williams“The security deposit is being set off for the damage caused by the third-named defendant (Minister Broomes) during occupancy pursuant to the said Agreement with the second-named defendant; demand for payment has been made without effect,” expressed Dr Ramsaroop in his court proceedings.Dr Ramsaroop is being represented by Attorneys-at-law Sanjeey Datadin, L. Mark Conway and Charles S. Ramson.
KAPALUA, H.I. – While her brother spent last Sunday swimming, biking, and running for just over four hours in the XTERRA World Championship Traithlon, Bailey Haugan needed less than half an hour to place fifth in the 5 kilometre trail run.Despite the intense combination of heat and humidity, Haugan completed the XTERRA 5k on a particularly muddy trail in a blistering 23:42. With a pace of 8:10, Haugan not only placed in 5th, she was also the fastest female on the course, besting the second-fastest competitor by almost two minutes.Kalii Caldwell from Ogden, Utah crossed the line after Haugan in 25:29, while China’s Tang Jing Yan took third place, running the trail in 25:48.- Advertisement –
FORT ST. JOHN, B.C. – It was a tough weekend for our senior Grizzlies — after a long and anxious bus ride to Grande Prairie, with a stop at the Alberta border because of snow, both teams got off the bus and stepped right onto the court to start their pool play at the GP Comp. Tournament. The girls got off to a slow start in the first game but their energy started to shift in the second and third.The Grizzlies started off against PWA with a huge block from Mackenzie O’Brien. Ultimately the girls fell short in that game and the next, but the quality of play was much better. They came out on Saturday morning with a solid win in two sets over High Level to complete their pool play and set themselves up for a tough crossover match against Lacrete.The girls had a great first set against the Lancers but lost 24-26. There were lots of positive plays that happened in that set, including an excellent dig by Hannah Gould and Kesney Myllymaki that showed off the Grizzlies’ defensive strength. In the second set, the girls let the momentum slip away and lost 25-15. The Grizzlies are back at it this weekend in Prince George for their last tournament of the season.- Advertisement -The senior boys started the weekend off strong with a big win against Chetwynd in straight sets. They then went on to lose the next two against PWA and St John Paul. In their last game of pool play on Saturday morning, the Grizzlies defeated High Level in three setsto go 2-2. The quarterfinals saw them match up against E.W Pratt, and lose in two sets. The boys have this weekend off, and are back at it again in Peace River, November 7 and 8, for their last tournament of the season.The junior girls were in Dawson Creek over the weekend. The Grizzlies went undefeated, winning every game but one in straight sets and finishing the tournament in first place. With Regionals coming up this weekend, the girls are excited and ready to compete! Up Next: North Peace and Bert Bowes are hosting the Junior Girls Regional Tournament this coming weekend with games kicking off at both schools on Friday afternoon. Come out and support your local teams! The Cross Country team will be in Abbotsford on Saturday competing at the Provincial Championships. Good luck Grizzlies! Athlete of the Week: Nathan Narcisco (Gr. 12, Senior Boys Volleyball)Nathan played every set of the weekend as starting setter. He ran the offence and kept the boys in each set. He energized the team when they got down on themselves and served as captain for the weekend. Overall, Nathan had a great weekend – Congratulations!Advertisement
Terminally ill multiple sclerosis sufferer Marie Fleming has lost her landmark court challenge to the blanket ban on assisted suicide.The Lifford woman was told that right to life under the Constitution “does not import a right to die” in this “very tragic case”, the Supreme Court ruled.Ms Fleming was not well enough to attend today’s brief court hearing. Her partner, Tom Curran, and other family members were in court. While suicide is no longer a crime here, that does not mean there is a constitutional right to suicide, the Chief Justice, Ms Justice Susan Denham, said. There is “no explicit right to commit suicide, or to determine the time of one’s own death”, in the Constitution.There was, accordingly, no constitutional right which the State, including the courts, must protect and vindicate, either to commit suicide or to arrange for the termination of one’s own life at a time of one’s choosing.The principle of equal treatment also does not confer on Ms Fleming, as a disabled person, the right to be assisted in taking her own life, the court ruled.The Chief Justice stressed nothing in the court’s judgment “should be taken as necessarily implying it would not be open to the State, in the event the Oireachtas were satisfied that measures with appropriate safeguards could be introduced, to deal with a case such as that of Ms Fleming’s”. Dismissing other claims the absolute ban on assisted suicide breaches Ms Fleming’s rights under the European Convention on Human Rights, she said the European court has ruled it was primarily for states to assess the risk of abuse if the general ban on assisted suicide was relaxed or if exceptions were to be created.The complex issue of assisted suicide has been assessed here, and the legislature had legislated by enacting the absolute ban, she said. The court would, consequently, dismiss the claim the ban was incompatible.She was giving the seven-judge court’s ruling today dismissing the appeal by 59-year-old Ms Fleming, who is in the final stages of multiple sclerosis, to the High Court’s refusal to grant orders that would allow her be lawfully helped to end her life at a time of her choice. MARIE FLEMING LOSES CASE FOR ASSISTED SUICIDE was last modified: April 29th, 2013 by StephenShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window) Tags:LiffordMARIE FLEMINGright to die
A campaign of intimidation has been waged against a senior Donegal County Council official and other staff after a person was refused housing.Staff at County House in Lifford were intimidatedThe campaign came to a head yesterday after hundreds of fake racist emails were sent out claiming to be from the council official.It has now been revealed the campaign started a year ago when several staff at County House in Lifford were sent abusive emails. The senior official targeted yesterday had confronted the person and told them that such offensive emails would not be tolerated.He also told the person that all housing applications would be considered in the normal way on merit.The person also allegedly registered web domain names in the council official’s name in order to pursue a personal campaign against him.Gardaí investigated the matter and, it is understood, a file was prepared for the Director of Public Prosecutions. It is also understood computer equipment was seized as part of the inquiry. The alleged intimidation ceased for a period of time but recommenced on Thursday when the individual concerned both texted and phoned the official on his mobile number while he was at home.Sources said the council’s solicitors had written to the individual concerned.The emails send yesterday claims to be from the official and that he is starting a new political party in Donegal.The email also contains racist comments.Gardaí are now also investigating the latest contact with the official and the emails sent in recent days. A Garda spokesman said he could not comment on named individuals.HOUSE REFUSAL BEHIND CAMPAIGN OF INTIMIDATION AGAINST COUNCIL STAFF was last modified: June 1st, 2013 by StephenShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window)Tags:Donegal County Councilemailsharassmenthouseintimidation
Donegal County Council has agreed to write to Minister for Health Simon Harris to call for the recruitment embargo to be lifted in the Health Service.County councillor Gerry McMonagle has this week called for a ‘strong letter’ to be sent to the Department of Health ahead of Budget 2020 seeking the necessary resources to fill long-term vacancies that have resulted from the embargo.Cllr McMonagle told the council that a high number of vacancies in Letterkenny University Hospital has contributed to extended outpatient waiting lists in outpatients, a shortage of beds, patients on trolleys and long A&E waiting times. He also warned that Brexit will put further pressures on the health service. “It’s not good enough that our people in Donegal seem to have to travel everywhere for everything,” Cllr McMonagle told this week’s county council meeting.“We have a state of the art hospital, we have good staff, but we have a lot of vacancies.”Cllr McMonagle, who is a member of the Northwest Regional Health Forum, added that LUH would not disclose how many vacancies there are present, despite his requests.Health service recruitment embargo must be lifted – Cllr McMonagle was last modified: October 2nd, 2019 by Rachel McLaughlinShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window) Tags:healthRecruitment embargo
SANTA CLARA — Robbie Gould might not be available Monday night if the 49ers need him to repeat last year’s heroics against the visiting Seattle Seahawks.If he’s not, the question becomes how long will Gould need to recover from a quadriceps injury.It’s serious enough that the 49ers are signing kicker Chase McLaughlin, a league source confirmed. Offensive tackle Sam Young was released to make room on the roster.KANSAS CITY, MO – AUGUST 24: Kicker Robbie Gould #9 of the San Francisco 49ers …
SANTA CLARA – Students at Cabrillo Middle School in Santa Clara have one less thing to worry about after San Francisco 49ers cornerback Richard Sherman paid off their cafeteria debt.In a news release, Principal Stan Garber said Sherman pulled him from his Saturday shift as a docent in the 49ers Museum to give him a personal check for exactly $7,491.27.“Richard’s gesture created such good will for the 49ers that they went on to sack Aaron Rogers and the Green Bay Packers the next day on …